Get in touch! 0800 040 70 90 | email@example.com
Cost Advice Services Limited is a controller of your personal data. We respect your data and your privacy is important to us.
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data we collect and how it is used. This notice also explains what rights you have over your personal data and how you can use those rights.
You have the right to object to some of the processing which Cost Advice Services Limited carries out. More information about your rights and how to exercise these is set out in the “Your rights” section of this notice.
Cost Advice Services Limited’s registered office is 1 Church View, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S45 9HA.
1. Summary of how we use your data and your rights
We use your data to provide and improve our products and services, including for marketing, research, feedback and enquiries.
We will use your data to comply with laws and regulations. We may use your data to prevent and detect crime, such as fraud.
You have the right to object to some of the processing Cost Advice Services Limited carries out. More information about your rights and how to exercise these is set out in the “Your rights” section of this notice.
When you give consent, you are able to withdraw that consent at any time, for instance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also email to exercise any other data rights, such as obtaining a copy of your data, correcting, deleting or restricting how we use your data. Please see “Your rights” for more information.
You can unsubscribe from marketing communications at any time. To opt out of marketing, including profiling for direct marketing purposes, you can select “unsubscribe” in emails, or email email@example.com.
2. Information we collect from you
We collect information when you use our services. This includes website visits, online contact or corresponding with us.
• We keep information you give us directly such as contact details (including name, email, address and telephone number), comments, date of birth, gender, region, utility consumption details, feedback and marketing opinions.
• If you engage with us online via our website or our cookies will capture your IP address, your location, and record how you use the site to help improve it and improve your user experience, where your browser settings or permission allows for this.
• If you post information online about us or provide feedback, we may keep a record.
• If you contact us directly and complain or give feedback, we will record details and all related information such as emails, letters and phone calls.
• We use CCTV in our offices for the prevention and detection of crime and for safety and security reasons.
3. Information we receive from third parties
We may receive your information from other people. This can happen when:
• Suppliers send us copy invoices or agreements upon your request.
• You participate in market research, such as focus groups or surveys.
4. How we use information and the legal basis
We are allowed to use your data only if we have a proper reason to do so such as:
• To fulfil a contract we have with you;
• When it is in our legitimate interest;
• When you consent to it; or
• To comply with the law.
A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your data. This involves us making an assessment of when we can rely on our legitimate interests. For more information on this assessment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We have set out below how and why we may use your personal information and the legal basis we rely on. This is also where we tell you what our legitimate interests are.
When you use our services for energy procurement, invoice verification or price comparison, we use your information to fulfil our contract with you.
We take information to communicate with you, check your identity, and provide products, services and reports, including presenting quotations.
To run our business and pursue our legitimate interests, we use your information.
Our legitimate interests include keeping our records up to date, fulfilling our legal, compliance and contractual duties, working out which of our products and services may interest you, improving our site and services, developing new products and services, and telling you about them and conducting market research.
Further details of our legitimate interests:
To run and promote our business, we use your information:
• To provide and improve our products and services, and to respond to you if you contact us.
• To record communications, including incoming and outgoing calls and emails, for staff training, quality improvement purposes and establishing facts.
• When we monitor Cost Advice Services Limited websites, and responses to email marketing. If you post comments online or in other media we may capture this information, contact you, and use it to improve our products and services.
• To run promotions and track which offers seem of interest to you.
• To send you emails including offers tailored to your industry sector.
• To contact you where you provide us with market research feedback.
To prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, terrorism, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime, including where we are required to do so by law we may:
• Monitor website accounts and review CCTV, record call communications and emails.
To comply with law, assess and uphold legal or contractual rights and claims, and for monitoring, auditing and training on compliance matters:
• We monitor, and record call communications, including incoming and outgoing calls and emails.
• We may verify your identity.
• We keep records to comply with health and safety legislation, including accounting for the number of individuals on our premises and logging accidents.
We may, if you give us consent
• Send you electronic marketing, including promotions and offers, in relation to our products and services.
• Use data for other purposes where we explain that purpose when we ask for your consent.
When you give consent, you are able to withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us, for instance by emailing email@example.com. If you do so we can only continue to use your data if another legal basis applies, such as when we’re required to do something by law.
Nevertheless, you have an absolute right to opt-out of direct marketing, including profiling for direct marketing purposes, at any time. You can opt out of marketing by selecting “unsubscribe” in emails or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
When the law requires us to process your data we will do so. This can include:
• Legal, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes, including for government agencies and law enforcement.
• When you exercise your rights under data protection legislation, including when you ask to subscribe or unsubscribe from our marketing communications.
5. Data sharing
For some activities Cost Advice Services Ltd works with third party providers, for instance utility suppliers and installers. When these providers ask for customer data from you we may share information with them, such as when a client has requested energy price comparisons.
We use third party providers for the following services:
• Utility price comparisons
• Service or metering installation quotations
If our business is to be integrated with another business or sold, your details would be shared with our advisers and any prospective purchaser’s advisers. Your information will be passed to the new owners and you would be notified.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials for the prevention or detection of crime, if required by law or if required for a legal or contractual claim.
Third Party providers may conduct a credit check on your company, or personally as the case may be.
6. Cookies and similar technologies
7. Data retention
We keep your data to enable us to fulfil our contract with you or to provide services, whilst you are an active user of our site, where required by law or to protect legal rights.
We always look to keep your data for the minimum time in line with data protection principles and our processes.
If you unsubscribe from marketing communications we keep a record of this request indefinitely to ensure we do not send you direct marketing again.
We may keep your data for longer if we cannot delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons.
8. Your rights
You have rights over your personal data.
• ask for a copy of your information;
• ask for information to be corrected;
• ask for information to be erased or deleted;
• ask for us to limit or restrict processing;
• object to us processing your data, in particular where we use the data for direct marketing, including profiling for direct marketing purposes. The right to object does not apply if we must process the data to meet a contractual or legal requirement;
• ask us to send you a copy in a structured digital format or ask for us to send it to another party.
Some rights, however, may be limited. We may be obliged by law or regulation to keep information. We must respect other people’s privacy as well, which means we may need to redact or remove information where it includes personal data about someone else, even if it is connected to your data. On occasion there may be a compelling legitimate interest to keep processing data.
If you want a copy of your data, to object to how we use your data, or ask us to delete it or restrict how we use it or, please see ‘Contact details’ below. To process a request from you, we may need to confirm your identity to ensure we’re accessing the right data.
You have a right to complain to an EU data protection authority. This can be where you live, work or where the matter occurred. In the UK, the authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office (the “ICO”).
9. Contact details
To exercise any of your rights, to withdraw consent or for any queries relating to data protection please email: email@example.com. Or by writing to us at Privacy Officer, Cost Advice, 1 Church View, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S45 9HA.
If we make any changes or updates to this notice we will communicate these.
10. Which entity is the controller?
The controller for your information is Cost Advice Services Limited, 1 Church View, Coney Green, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S45 9HA.